POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Some simple feature suggestions : Re: Some simple feature suggestions Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:33:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some simple feature suggestions
From: Glen Berry
Date: 30 Jun 1999 18:22:26
Message: <377d983f.51327362@news.povray.org>
On 30 Jun 1999 17:41:44 -0400, par### [at] fwicom (Ron Parker) wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 21:10:04 GMT, Glen Berry wrote:
>>>Also, I'd think it'd be nice to specify the intended physical
>>>dimensions of the image rather than directly specifying the DPI.
>>>Or specify the physical dimensions and the DPI but not the pixels.
>>
>>Actually, I think that would be nice, but I don't know if the standard
>>graphics programs and publishing programs would recognize the physical
>>size statement.
>
>They don't have to.  Given any two of the three parameters, POV could
>calculate the third.  If I say I want an 8"x10" at 300 DPI, POV could
>easily figure out that I meant +W2400 +H3000.  Contrariwise, if I say
>this 2400x3000 image should be 8"x10", POV would figure out the 300 DPI
>part for itself.  In either case it would write a DPI=300 header into
>a 2400x3000 image.  The only problem would come when someone indirectly
>specifies a DPI that the service bureau can't handle directly, like 216
>or something.  That's a wetware issue, though.

Okay, I think I might have misunderstood you the first time. You
weren't exactly intending to place a "physical size" statement in a
special header were you? I guess you had meant to be able to tell POV
what physical size and DPI you wanted to cater to, and let POV pick
the size in pixels, or something like that. That could be a handy way
to do things. Personally, I've always wanted a way to specify the
image size from within the pov scene file, if I wanted to. Maybe that
could be done at the same time we resolve the "DPI issue"?