POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : JPEG input/output for Pov 3.1e : Re: JPEG input/output for Pov 3.1e Server Time
3 Sep 2024 04:16:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPEG input/output for Pov 3.1e
From: Ron Parker
Date: 2 Jul 1999 09:08:05
Message: <377cb9b5@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 29 Jun 1999 21:16:41 +0100, Alain CULOS wrote:
>Of course it can be a headache maintaining such a version and getting
>complaints from reckless users, but with proper warnings (in the message
>windows when the option is selected for instance as well as in the docs
>and whereever the mention of JPEG is made), well with proper disclaimers
>it should diminish negative feedback.

People read the documentation and the message window?  Where are these
people?

>Not all output has to be A1 perfect and not all image maps need to be A1
>accurate. JPEG has positive points as well as negative points, why ignore
>the positive ?

I guess I agree, in principle, and if people want to jpgify their output
they should be able to, but I still think it'd come back to bite whoever
implements it in terms of additional support.

>> Speaking for myself only, of course, as the current maintainer
>> of the superpatch.
>
>Do you really have to maintain and try and fix everything ?
>Can you not delegate the work relating to patches by others to such others
>?

Oh, no, of course I don't.  I don't have to support everything, either, as
there are at least a few people in this group who help tremendously with
that, but until I can set up a proper CVS archive and mailing lists, it'd
be more trouble than it's worth to try to coordinate small bugfixes among
more than about two or three people.  I still don't see how the POV-Team
does it. :)