POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : JPEG input/output for Pov 3.1e : Re: JPEG input/output for Pov 3.1e Server Time
3 Sep 2024 02:18:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPEG input/output for Pov 3.1e
From: Glen Berry
Date: 30 Jun 1999 18:11:52
Message: <377c8e56.48790494@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 29 Jun 1999 17:08:08 -0700, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:

>   If one is enthusiastic about using such a format one should also hear
>what the possible disadvantages are in doing so.

Fair enough. I have no problem with that. Since I can see value in the
patch, it's my place to enunciate the benefits of it for those that
might not have thought of them already. Those people that see
potential pitfalls in using the patch have the full right, and dare I
say, the social responsibility for speaking out about that as well.
Since I am doing my part, and the opponents of the patch are doing
their part by posting negative comments, you should be a happy man.

> The voice of pro vs. con is a powerful teacher and should not be ignored
>simply because it does not support your own view.

Trust me, I wouldn't make that mistake. I have read all the negative
comments about the JPEG patch. I understand them. I also knew about
those issues before I read the posts here. I am not ignoring them.

> A discussion would not exist without more than one participant.

That's another fairly obvious conclusion. That's why I am rallying
around having JPEG support in POV-Ray. It seemed that most of the
people were making negative comments about the idea. I was merely
attempting to "bring balance to the force" by showing the benefits of
the patch, and demonstrate that Nigel was not alone in his support of
JPEG.  Again, I would think that such balance would make you happy.

>I don't think therefore I'm not !

Well, that's you.   :)                             <just kidding>

> A tree falls in a forest but no one is there to hear it...

Except for these last two enigmatic, pseudo-psychological statements,
I don't see where we disagree at all. As for those last two lines,
these are rhetorical in nature anyway and don't expect to be answered.

It's nice to know that we agree on so many things.   :)

Later,
Glen Berry