POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Some simple feature suggestions : Re: Some simple feature suggestions Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:22:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some simple feature suggestions
From: Ron Parker
Date: 30 Jun 1999 17:41:44
Message: <377a8f18@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 21:10:04 GMT, Glen Berry wrote:
>>Also, I'd think it'd be nice to specify the intended physical
>>dimensions of the image rather than directly specifying the DPI.
>>Or specify the physical dimensions and the DPI but not the pixels.
>
>Actually, I think that would be nice, but I don't know if the standard
>graphics programs and publishing programs would recognize the physical
>size statement.

They don't have to.  Given any two of the three parameters, POV could
calculate the third.  If I say I want an 8"x10" at 300 DPI, POV could
easily figure out that I meant +W2400 +H3000.  Contrariwise, if I say
this 2400x3000 image should be 8"x10", POV would figure out the 300 DPI
part for itself.  In either case it would write a DPI=300 header into
a 2400x3000 image.  The only problem would come when someone indirectly
specifies a DPI that the service bureau can't handle directly, like 216
or something.  That's a wetware issue, though.