POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Some simple feature suggestions : Re: Some simple feature suggestions Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:27:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some simple feature suggestions
From: Ron Parker
Date: 30 Jun 1999 09:48:06
Message: <377a2016@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 00:31:14 GMT, Glen Berry wrote:
>Since most all of the image formats support some sort of comment
>fields, wouldn't it be nice to take advantage of them? We could have
>POV-Ray automatically insert a small text file into each of out images
>stating the author's name, copyright notice, etc. This text file would
>be created by the user and pointed to by an entry in the master ini
>file. If no pointer existed, no text would be inserted into the image.

Why not put the text in the .pov file instead?  I think that would be
much more flexible.  If you have a boilerplate you want to use, just
put it in a #include.

>It would also be nice to mention in the comments which version of
>POV-Ray created the image.

That might be nice.  Render settings might be nice, too, but would
probably take up too much space.

>Lastly, I recently have been rendering images with the intention of
>printing them. For the purposes of printing, it would be nice to
>assign a DPI value to the image. Currently, I have to do this in a
>graphics editing program. It isn't hard, but it could be taken care of
>automatically by POV-Ray. I suppose we would need an entry in the
>master ini file for DPI setting. Something like: "Output_DPI=300"

DPI seems like such an American unit of measure.  Do Europeans and
other more advanced cultures use a more metricized term?

Also, I'd think it'd be nice to specify the intended physical
dimensions of the image rather than directly specifying the DPI.
Or specify the physical dimensions and the DPI but not the pixels.