POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : [Overly ambitious project] Isoblob update : Re: [Overly ambitious project] Isoblob update Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:29:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [Overly ambitious project] Isoblob update
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 4 Jul 1999 10:45:32
Message: <377F73B2.A163DBDF@peak.edu.ee>
In most cases it would give a general time frame, but an experienced user can
probably guess it more accurately himself. Extreme cases are not rare in POV
renderings. A small part of the image may take up most of the time. Linear PPS
calculation (or even one based on previous data) can _not_ take this into
account. And POV can't predict the number of rays it has to trace for a
particular pixel or line.
Like I said, a progressive histogram approach might do the trick. It would hold
the added advantage of showing a progressively refined preview of the entire
scene before rendering is done. I would certainly consider this an useful
option.
Adding render time calculation based on time spent & PPS should be trivial. I
can only guess, but perhaps the very reason it hasn't been done already is the
inaccuracy of this method in raytraced scenes.

Margus