POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A modest proposal : Re: A modest proposal Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:15:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A modest proposal
From: Alex Vandiver
Date: 3 Jul 1999 18:52:25
Message: <377E9412.D0BF1EF1@tiac.net>
> Get rid of all the object keywords except blob, julia_fractal, and poly.

This is certainly a start.  However, as has already been mentioned, this is
simply not enough simplification.  My modest proposal is as follows:
Remove all primitives and replace them with a single 'line' primitive, in the
form of:
line {
  <x1,y1,z1>,<x2,y2,z2>
}
Lines have huge amounts of versatility, far more than even triangles.  What is
more, they simplify and speed up renders by astronomical proportions!  There are
only two conditions; either a ray hits the line, or it doesn't.  Gone is all of
the fussing with normals or even textures.  As a line is infinitely thin, the
chance of a ray hitting it is infinitely small, and thus the number of ray
intersections will be _drastically_ reduced.  This will in turn increase the
rendering speed, dare I say *PAST* the speed of real-time rendering!  With LORT,
(Line-Only Ray Tracing) and LO-Ray (Line-Only Raytracer) it would be
theoretically possible to raytrace faster than the speed of light, making time
travel possible.  The masterpieces that could be created can only be begun to be
imagined.
-Alex Vandiver

|    Join the LO-Ray (Line-Only Raytracer)   |
| project today by pressing the power button |
| on your monitor, or look on the web at the |
|    amazing graphics possible, at http://   |