POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Dumb idea (?): Trees : Re: Dumber idea (?): Isoblobs Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:23:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dumber idea (?): Isoblobs
From: Lummox JR
Date: 30 Jun 1999 23:43:58
Message: <377AE4B2.A3A@aol.com>
Ron Parker wrote:
> While you're in there, add a conical component.

Cones should work out, although I had to give up on toruses.
Problem is, density is a 4th-order polynomial, and density of a torus
can't be defined that way; it can't even be fudged easily. I think
2nd-order object types are the limit.
Well, there's always isosurfaces.

Right now I'm checking to see if maybe I can't create an "isoblob" type
that mixes the two. This is a bit weighty a task, I know, but the idea
is solid.
The concept is not only that the isoblob will contain some simple
structures like a blob, but that each will have a function (or rather, a
pointer thereto), a special bounding object, etc. The bounding objects
will be handled just like the blob types, but within each interval of
influence will be an addition of density functions (weighted by a
strength value).
I think this may be vaguely within my capability. It will take some
serious combinations of the isosurface and blob code, but most of the
work is already done in some way or another. I seem to understand most
of the blob code I've looked through, which is encouraging.

The main idea here, BTW, is that an isoblob will be able to contain
*many* components, perhaps built by a macro, many of them using the same
functions. (The only catch is that there might need to be a
non-translated vector input to the function as well as translated, to
take advantage of functions like noise3d() in blob space rather than in
component space.)

Lummox JR