POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : C vs. C++ : Re: C vs. C++ Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:23:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: C vs. C++
From: Dick Balaska
Date: 30 Jun 1999 03:59:37
Message: <3779CE4A.3DB929C8@buckosoft.com>
Ron Parker wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jun 1999 13:27:45 -0700, Ken wrote:
> > I know that the windows version of 3.1 has been compiled using
> >msvc6 a C++ compiler. Pov has traditionaly been written in C. Has
> >the code all been changed to C++ or does the current windows version
> >only have the distinction of being a program written in C and compiled
> >with a C++ compiler ?
>
> It's still written in C.  VC6, like most C++ compilers, is quite capable
> of falling back on a C grammar when confronted with C source, and that is
> exactly what it does.  So what you have is a C program compiled with a
> C compiler.

Actually, they are different compilers.  If you have a file foo.c, it will
use the C compiler. foo.cpp (or foo.cxx) uses the c++ compiler.
The M$ C compiler has been stable for several years and generates descent
code.  The C++ compiler is fairly buggy.  You can get different bugs
by tweaking the optimizations.  Neither devstudio/VC++6 service pack
addressed a single compiler/code generation bug. (Mostly dll tweaks so
you can play on the same machine as Office2000/IE5)

dik