POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Dumb idea (?): Trees : Re: Dumb idea (?): Trees Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:31:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dumb idea (?): Trees
From: Lummox JR
Date: 29 Jun 1999 23:31:20
Message: <37799036.4724@aol.com>
Ron Parker wrote:
> Uh... a blob _is_ an isosurface.  It's just a specialized one that
> has been optimized to be faster to compute than a general isosurface.

True, true.
I was thinking, though, something along the lines of both: Something
with a blob's clipping capabilities, and the ability to hold multiple
components, yet using the power of functions.

Ironically, right now I'm looking through the blob code, seeing if
there's a way to add a torus-shaped component. Imagine the
possibilities. Most of it is pretty straightforward, but at the moment
I'm a bit stuck on the math of trying to get the quartic coefficients
right for All_Blob_Intersections. I can't seem to get anything less than
an 8th order equation to work mathematically, even though a 4th order
equation ought to do the trick. I'll keep at it, of course....   :)

Lummox JR