POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Some simple feature suggestions : Re: Some simple feature suggestions Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:30:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some simple feature suggestions
From: Ralf Muschall
Date: 29 Jun 1999 22:24:35
Message: <37797F89.68B3F73A@t-online.de>
Glen Berry wrote:

> POV-Ray automatically insert a small text file into each of out images
> stating the author's name, copyright notice, etc. This text file would

Something like this might help e.g. in the IRTC, but doing it
automatically might be a problem: It could violate the privacy
of the user if he forgets to avoid/delete the comments e.g.
from an indecent or illegal image. Bad things like this
have already happened with user IDs included in MS Word files.

> assign a DPI value to the image. Currently, I have to do this in a

IMHO the DPI value is not a property of the image, but
of the printing process, hardware, requested paper size
etc. Passing the information the other way around
is IMHO more useful (e.g. the printer tells the renderer
how many pixels the image should have in order to fit
on a given sheet with minimal dithering trouble).

> I'm not sure how many of the POV supported formats would support this,
> but for those formats that do, I think we should add this feature.

Modern bitmap formats (at least PNG) support comments,
but reading them requires a nontrivial activity by the
user. I think is would be better to stay portable
and have the creator supply a text file containing the
informations. This is easier to create (at least for
people with DOSen, where PNG is not so widespread yet)
and to read (e.g. in HTML pages).

Ralf