POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : JPEG input/output for Pov 3.1e : Re: JPEG input/output for Pov 3.1e Server Time
3 Sep 2024 02:18:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPEG input/output for Pov 3.1e
From: Ken
Date: 29 Jun 1999 20:09:17
Message: <37795FE8.C52537B7@pacbell.net>
Glen Berry wrote:

> Lastly, I want to say that all the opponents of JPEG output are acting
> as if it were a proposed *replacement* for one of their favorite
> image formats currently supported. Nothing is further from the truth.
> JPEG output would be an *option* available to those users who desired
> to use it. No one will make anyone render in JPEG. And quite frankly,
> why should anyone care what format *someone else* renders their file
> in? If it isn't your file, why on earth would you care? It will never
> be the default output format. If someone uses it, it will be because
> they *wanted* to do so. Who are we to tell them they shouldn't?
>
> Later,
> Glen Berry

   If one is enthusiastic about using such a format one should also hear
what the possible disadvantages are in doing so. The voice of pro vs. con
is a powerful teacher and should not be ignored simply because it does
not support your own view. A discussion would not exist without more
than one participant. I don't think therefore I'm not ! A tree falls in
a forest but no one is there to hear it...

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net