POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : beyond normal maps.... : beyond normal maps.... Server Time
2 May 2024 23:35:41 EDT (-0400)
  beyond normal maps....
From: TigerHawk
Date: 28 Jun 1999 14:44:45
Message: <377913A3.80533829@sitc.net>
I was reading up in 3D Graphics and Animatino (@ Barnes and Nobles) and
thumbed through a section the described actually denting the surface of
an object, unlike a normal map which just simulates this effect. Bump
maps are wonderful, but sometimes I need something a little more. For
example, sometimes I need real water. I've been told many ways to get
around bump maps (ie using height fields, etc), but I was wondering if
anything was planned in POV-Ray's future, or if anything did, in fact,
exist, that did physically indent the surface. I realize this would slow
down rendering time (by quite a lot in some cases), but it would be a
nice feature when needed....

Just curious,
Tim Soderstrom
TigerHawk