POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : JPEG input/output for Pov 3.1e : Re: JPEG input/output for Pov 3.1e Server Time
2 Sep 2024 20:16:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPEG input/output for Pov 3.1e
From: Nieminen Mika
Date: 29 Jun 1999 02:32:10
Message: <3778686a@news.povray.org>
TonyB <ben### [at] panamaphoenixnet> wrote:
: Much greater compression, with no apparent loss to quality (at least from
: Photoshop with max quality).

  I disagree with you. Ron is right. I very often am in the situation that
I just can't get the image I just raytraced converted to JPG without
very annoying artifacts. I convert it with higher and higher quality and
the file size grows and grows but the artifacts don't seem to disappear,
they only get fainter (but not faint enough). (This happens usually when
I have a big red object over a backround of other color.) Sometimes, however,
the JPG looks quite good.
  The point is that you can't say whether the image will look good or not
in JPG format and you absolutely can't say what quality settings are enough
for the image. A small 160x120 preview image doesn't tell you anything.
  As Ron said, you would discover after 3 days that the quality of your
JPG was definitely too low.
  Reading JPG's would be quite ok.

  If povteam ever introduces JPG output into povray (let's hope not!), I
assume that I have to add another entry to the povVFAQ: "The image that
povray calculates on screen looks ok, but when I look at the jpg it looks
very bad. Why?"