POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : JPEG input/output for Pov 3.1e : Re: JPEG input/output for Pov 3.1e Server Time
2 Sep 2024 20:13:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPEG input/output for Pov 3.1e
From: Ron Parker
Date: 28 Jun 1999 17:08:09
Message: <3777e439@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 28 Jun 1999 15:40:10 -0400, TonyB wrote:
>This is extremely cool. This MUST be included into POV-Ray 3.5 or 4.0
>(or at least the SuperPatch). =)

I'm generally opposed to JPEG output, because it's lossy.  Imagine
if you just finished a 3-day render only to discover that the
quality level on the output wasn't sufficient.  Who would you
blame, yourself or the guy who chose the default quality level?
I know *I* don't want that kind of support headache.  Besides,
what does JPEG gain you that you can't get with PNG?

On the other hand, using JPEG images as imagemaps, bumpmaps,
and so on is a pretty good idea.

Speaking for myself only, of course, as the current maintainer
of the superpatch.