POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : JPEG input/output for Pov 3.1e : Re: JPEG input/output for Pov 3.1e Server Time
2 Sep 2024 20:19:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPEG input/output for Pov 3.1e
From: Mike
Date: 28 Jun 1999 18:36:16
Message: <3777F72B.47D2CE31@aol.com>
Um, Bryce, Ray Dream, 3D Studio MAX 2.5, Hash Animation Master are a few
programs that can use jpeg both for input and output.  If you mean for
compiling into video, isn't mjpeg about the same thing?  That's a very
common format.

I recall a thread on c.g.r.r where someone who worked on Antz claimed
they use JPEG output.

The long and short of it for me is that you will never get the
compression of JPEG out of PNG.  While LWZ compression can cut a file in
half, a JPEG file can reduce it by a factor of 10 or more without too
much artifacting.  If more projects like the IMP start to show up, some
kind of compression scheme is going to be essential.

JPEG would be an essential addition to POV-Ray.  How many people use
BMP, PGM, or PPM?  Yet they are in there and I'm sure some people find
them useful.  I haven't tested the output of this patch, but if it does
a reasonably good job I certainly hope it will find it's way into a
future version of POV-Ray.   All IMHO of course.

-Mike