POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : JPEG input/output for Pov 3.1e : Re: JPEG input/output for Pov 3.1e Server Time
2 Sep 2024 20:13:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPEG input/output for Pov 3.1e
From: Ken
Date: 28 Jun 1999 17:10:16
Message: <3777E484.118728D5@pacbell.net>
Ron Parker wrote:

> On the other hand, using JPEG images as imagemaps, bumpmaps,
> and so on is a pretty good idea.

 I'm even opposed to using them as input files where quality of the
image will suffer from the inherently poor quality that jpg's can
contribute to the process. I have used converted jpg images for use
as HF objects and the unwanted artifacts present in jpg's cause
unwanted height variations in the objects surface. This caused me
to to try to further process the image files to remove the artifacts
leading to other undesired effects.

 I am skeptical that using jpg's is viable when used as a standard
process. Maybe occassionaly but never on a continuous use basis.
Anyone ever hear of an animation program that accepts jpg's for
input files ? I can't recall any off hand.

Long live PNG !

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net