POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : I Need Some Dirt : Re: I Need Some Dirt Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:14:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I Need Some Dirt
From: Peter Popov
Date: 25 Jun 1999 04:36:04
Message: <377338e4.8017835@204.213.191.228>
On Thu, 24 Jun 1999 21:59:42 -0700, Kathy Overland <ovy### [at] uswestnet>
wrote:

>Oh yes! I have plenty of gradient y, wrinkles, granite, color maps, normal maps,  &
anything else
>you  can throw in the soup. I will say I do have a pretty good looking dirt. I made a
gif that is
>almost white with some plasma in it for the height field. It is a little tricky
making two height
>fields for a cliff background & one for the ground. Now my next dilemma is the scales
on the
>dragon. I am pondering different methods that might work. I have this gut feeling I
might need to
>make the main shape & then add the scales one by one. I don't think any of the
normals will give
>me what I am looking for. I thought about a bitmap but even if I had one it wouldn't
give me the
>layered look. Sorry if this all sounds so elementary but I have only been at this for
about 5
>months. Not very long in PovRay time.
>
>Thanks again for your help,
>Kathy

Gilles Tran has a picture called "Scales" which, as the names suggest,
features very realistic scales. Perhaps he will share the secret with
you or at least point you in the right direction. Other than that, you
may try to use an image of a roof for a bump_map. I remember Ken once
posted one such image, and if memory still serves me, it was tileable,
too. HTH

Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700