POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Career Path : Re: Career Path Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:14:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Career Path
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 24 Jun 1999 16:50:50
Message: <37729A71.1D254FB9@xs4all.nl>
James Wood wrote:

> I would like to know if POV is being used in any professional
> application or environment; or is it primarily for hobbyists. I would
> like to be able to use this experience in applying for a position in the
> 3d & animation professional world. How is POV viewed by professionals?
> What is the career path for such endeavors? What level of proficiency is
> needed? What can one expect as compensation?
> I am new to 3d modeling and find it interesting a whole lot of fun; but
> is this all it is?

1. You could earn money with nothing in your hands and nothing in your head (try
politics for instance) so there's bound to be a way to earn money with POV (see
3).
2. There are lots of commercial packages which sell for high prices. They're
probably used by the professionals. There might be some trade off: a little less
quality or refinement in the images and a lot more speed. For professional
purposes I think POV might be bit too refined.
3. I earn a (modest) living with 3D-images made with POV. I do some programming
along with it. I may not be very good with either of the two, but the
combination of the two (and some other things?) seems to do the trick.

Good luck,

Remco
http://www.xs4all.nl/~remcodek/vic.html