POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Patch to export to .ai files? : Re: Patch to export to .ai files? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 22:20:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Patch to export to .ai files?
From: Steve
Date: 19 Jun 1999 12:28:51
Message: <376BC668.CCD4DC8B@puzzlecraft.com>
Illustrator can't handle the 3D vector data from POV-Ray.

For instance, the control handles of a bezier curve have x,y coordinates in
Postscript but in POV they use x, y, z coordinates. Illustrator would probably
reject them as an illegal file type.

Postscript-2-POV conversions are possible. I am currently working on just such
a converter.

It might be possible to write an Illustrator plug-in that would handle 3D
bezier data, and there might even already be such a thing. There are certainly
thousands of Illustrator plug-ins available now.

In any case, trying to convert ALL of the data ( not just the bezier ) in a
typical POV scene file seems impossible to me.

Using POV animations on a web page is really not hard at all, you just don't
use Illustrator in the process. You might want to look over my online tutorial
"Advanced POV Animation for Beginners" at www.puzzlecraft.com/cm/ClockMod.html

Steve