POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Fog and Color Maps : Re: Fog and Color Maps Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:32:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fog and Color Maps
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 17 Jun 1999 23:47:09
Message: <3769C079.FC081EE@Kopp.com>
Ummm.... may I suggest media?

Yes, media is slower.  That's because it can handle stuff like this.  Fog
can work because it is uniform throughout so it only takes one calculation.
Making it non-uniform means you have to use 'ray-marching' where you sample
it at mutliple places along the way, which of course slows things down
tremendously.  (Ground fog is a bit more complicated than constant fog, but
not much more... still only one calculation per ray - no ray marching.)

-Nathan