POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : What is it? HF checkers : Re: What is it? HF checkers Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:32:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is it? HF checkers
From: Ron Parker
Date: 14 Jun 1999 10:23:46
Message: <37651072@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 13 Jun 1999 23:58:46 -0400, Lummox JR wrote:
>Zero should produce a very flat surface--but interestingly, it will
>remove the two-triangle appearance caused by no smoothing at all.

This is true.  It's because the normal is interpolated (or in this
case, averaged) across the square, not across the two triangles.
The triangles end up being rendered with a different normal than
they actually have.  This is interesting code, but I'm not sure
whether 'smooth' is the right word for what it does.