POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : NURBS : Re: NURBS Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:31:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NURBS
From: Thomas Baier
Date: 13 Jun 1999 01:19:20
Message: <37643ce5.4037994@news.povray.org>
Hi,

would it be possible raytrace NURBS direct without tesslating to
faces?
I think i have seen some hints for a ray NURBS intersection in
comp.graphics algorithms.
If it possible rendering NURBS would be image size independent.

I have some code to convert NURBS (Rhino) to triangles with dynamic
subdivision. If you are interessted please mail me: thb### [at] ibmnet

But the key feature would be "trimmed NURBS". It means that a NURBS
curve cuts a hole into the NURBS surface.
The NURBS curve is usally given in uv coordinates.

If there is a NURBS ray hit test, it would be possible to test for a
trimming curve.
Usally all CSG operations with NURBS are done with trimmed NURBS.

>A long time ago someone mentioned that they had written a preliminary
>patch for NURBS.  I think it was Nathan but the messages I have don't
>seem to go back far enough.
>
>Anyway, the person offered to share it with anyone interested.  If I can
>find the time, I plan on writing a patch to do direct rendering of
>bicubic patches, and it seems it should be possible to include NURBS.  I
>could use any help I could get, so it would be great if whoever has that
>code could forward it to me.  :)
>
>I hear that the direct approach causes rendering artifacts, but I'd like
>to try it just the same.
>
>-Mike

-tb