POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : NURBS : Re: NURBS Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:35:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NURBS
From: Mike
Date: 13 Jun 1999 01:35:37
Message: <37634183.369B43F1@aol.com>
It appears that the superpatch already has a very good implementation of
'direct' rendering of bicubic patches, so I guess my mission (should I chose
to accept it), is to come up with a way to convert a NURBS surface into a
bezier representation.  :)

I think I have some references that cover this.  I would base the syntax for
NURBS on how it's laid out in the renderman interface specification, since
that seems to be a comprehensive approach that includes trimmed surfaces.

I also have some papers that discuss how it's possible to speed up bezier
clipping by about 20% by including some other methods.  I'll see if I can get
anywhere with that too.

I'll be more than happy to dump this project on someone once I fail
miserably. :)

-Mike