POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : NURBS : Re: NURBS Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:23:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NURBS
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 12 Jun 1999 16:18:19
Message: <3762BFD9.B256C678@Kopp.com>
Yes, that was me.  I sent my code to somebody, but I don't think they ever
took it farther than I did.  I intended at one point to read some info
on better ways to subdivide NURBS, but then I got working on photon mapping
and that's kept me busy for a while (and will continue to in the near
future, at least).

Regarding your proposed patch - if it is fast, that would be nice.  POV
currently subdivides bicubic patches.  It has an option to subdivide only
as needed (practically 'direct rendering') but this is much slower than
pre-computed subdivision.  If you have a technique that is fast, that
would be great.

The recursive definition for NURBS is a bit more complicated than the
definition for bezier surfaces, which makes subdivision computation a
bit more costly.  I've been told that there are efficient ways to do
the subdivision, but I have not investigated the matter closely.

The really slow NURBS code that I wrote (just to see if it could be done)
is simply a parser front-end to the triangle mesh object.  In other words,
if you make a NURBS surface with what I did, it is a mesh object
internally.  If you want the code, let me know where to email it to.

-Nathan