POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : FreeBSD : Re: FreeBSD Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:22:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FreeBSD
From: Mark Gordon
Date: 12 Jun 1999 09:31:52
Message: <3762614E.E6D88141@mailbag.com>
Mike wrote:

> Seriously though, the main thing I'd like to do is get X windows up and
> running.  I had Red Hat installed for a short time some time ago, but I went
> mad from the text mode stuff.  I couldn't get X windows to run becuase they
> didn't have a driver for my video card at the time.   I was checking out
> freeBSD and they have my chipset listed now.

I believe FreeBSD uses XFree86, as does Red Hat, which means that the
current Red Hat (or any other recent Linux distribution) may support
your card as readily as FreeBSD.

I've been meaning to get FreeBSD installed on my machine ... in my
copious free time.  I just upgraded both my machines to Red Hat 6.0 this
week.

BTW, even if Beastie the Daemon isn't quite as endearing as Tux the
Penguin (YMMV), it's worth noting (with some amusement) that the fellow
who drew the original Beastie, John Lasseter, is now a VP at Pixar,
where he directed "Toy Story" and "A Bug's Life".  It all comes back to
computer graphics. ;-)

--
Mark Gordon
mtg### [at] povrayorg