POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : FreeBSD : Re: FreeBSD Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:33:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FreeBSD
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 12 Jun 1999 03:01:38
Message: <376205D4.C7BAED9F@geocities.com>
Mike wrote:

> I've been thinking of installing a Unix OS on an extra computer I have.
> The obvious choice seems to be Linux, but I recently heard about this
> FreeBSD.
>
> Anyone know how it compares to Linux and is it worth getting?
>
> -Mike

Yeah. They have that little daemon guy, and not the cool penguin.
Go for the penguin.

:-)

It might help if you mentioned some of your requirements, etc. Personally
I've finally gotten into Linux at home a few months ago (started
developing for it at work a few years ago, but just recently put it on at
home). Anyway, I just get the CheapBytes version of RedHat. $1.99 + S/H.

In general, it's made somewhat for the same purposes, but is a completly
separate development. Also, the code is more centrally controlled, and
they have different licensing. BSD instead of GPL.

But they don't have the cute penguin.

CheapBytes also has FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD CD's. ($4.99 + S/H)

http://www.cheapbytes.com/

Ah, but for more info, see
http://www.userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/99mar/19990320.html and then
from http://www.userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/99mar/19990322.html on