POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Ridged Multifractal : Re: Ridged Multifractal Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:27:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ridged Multifractal
From: Axel Baune
Date: 11 Jun 1999 06:41:29
Message: <3760E7D7.D7436C3D@neuro.informatik.uni-ulm.de>
Ron Parker wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:34:53 GMT, Peter Popov wrote:
> >On Fri, 28 May 1999 23:29:56 -0300, Simon de Vet <sde### [at] istarca>
> >wrote:
> >
> >>The Ridged Multifractal is found in a bunch of proggies, mostly HF
> >>editors (Leveller, Wilbur, probably others).
> ><snip>
> >>Any chance of seeing a patch with this as a pigment type (or any of the
> >>other multifractal thingies)? Would be very handy....
> >>
> >>Simon
> >>http://home.istar.ca/~sdevet
> >
> >Where can I find info on these multifractal thingies?
>
> I forgot about this.  The new superpatch (don't download it yet -
> it has bugs) contains a library called i_fract, contributed by
> Hans-Detlev Fink, that implements ridged multifractals for use with
> isosurfaces.  The function name is "RidgedMultifractal" and the
> parameters are as follows:
>
>  * P0 : H
>  * P1 : lacunarity
>  * P2 : octaves
>  * P3 : offset
>  * P4 : gain
>
> Ridged Multifractals were apparently created by F. Kenton Musgrave,
> but his web page at GWU has gone offline permanently and I can't
> find a replacement for it.

The source code of the Books "Texturing and modelling -- a procedural
approach" (first and second edition) by F. Kenton Musgrave et al. Could be
found at ftp adress:

archive.cs.umbc.edu

directory:

pub/textures

I know this, because I am writing my own HF proggie, and seached for those
fractal HF types.
Also included are the fractal types 'multifractal', 'heteroterrain' and
'hybridmultifractal' and 'fBM'.

I hope this will help

Yours
Axel Baune