POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Ridged Multifractal : Re: Ridged Multifractal Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:22:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ridged Multifractal
From: Ron Parker
Date: 10 Jun 1999 14:32:04
Message: <376004a4@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:34:53 GMT, Peter Popov wrote:
>On Fri, 28 May 1999 23:29:56 -0300, Simon de Vet <sde### [at] istarca>
>wrote:
>
>>The Ridged Multifractal is found in a bunch of proggies, mostly HF
>>editors (Leveller, Wilbur, probably others).
><snip>
>>Any chance of seeing a patch with this as a pigment type (or any of the
>>other multifractal thingies)? Would be very handy....
>>
>>Simon
>>http://home.istar.ca/~sdevet
>
>Where can I find info on these multifractal thingies?

I forgot about this.  The new superpatch (don't download it yet -
it has bugs) contains a library called i_fract, contributed by
Hans-Detlev Fink, that implements ridged multifractals for use with
isosurfaces.  The function name is "RidgedMultifractal" and the
parameters are as follows:

 * P0 : H
 * P1 : lacunarity
 * P2 : octaves
 * P3 : offset
 * P4 : gain

Ridged Multifractals were apparently created by F. Kenton Musgrave,
but his web page at GWU has gone offline permanently and I can't
find a replacement for it.