POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : What is it? HF checkers : Re: What is it? HF checkers Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:28:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is it? HF checkers
From: Ron Parker
Date: 10 Jun 1999 09:16:53
Message: <375fbac5@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 09 Jun 1999 20:05:18 -0400, Lummox JR wrote:
>It seems to me that some sort of automatic interpolation function--only
>used when called for, of course, to speed rendering time--would greatly
>improve the quality of height fields without requiring that kind of
>effort.

Depending on what sort of "automatic interpolation function" you're
planning on, you might as well use the bicubic patches.  They're the
end result you'd get with a bicubic interpolation, for example.
Adaptive interpolation would certainly be nice, but if you're going
to implement it, do it for all bicubic patches.

>Or, even something as simple as more smoothing would do the
>trick, at least in my case.

I don't think there's such a thing as "more smoothing."  It's either
smooth or it isn't - the 'smooth' version doesn't actually displace
any points; it just mucks with the normal vectors to make it look
smoother.