POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV 4 ideology proposal : Re: POV 4 ideology proposal Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:15:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 4 ideology proposal
From: Scott Hill
Date: 7 Jun 1999 11:57:09
Message: <375bebd5@netplex.aussie.org>
Nathan Kopp <Nat### [at] Koppcom> wrote in message

> > Instead of multiple unique objects to handle, it's suggested to use a
> > single consistent object model for everything from geometry to
> > textures.
>
> I disagree.  I think a distinction must be made between objects,
materials,
> pigments, finishes, ...
>
> Looking at it from OO again, "a sphere HAS A material" is true, not
> "a sphere IS A material".  However, "a sphere IS A object" would be
> correct.

    This true, but it's also valid to say :

    "a sphere IS_A scene_element"
    "a material IS_A scene_element"

and you then can have :

    "a sphere HAS_A material"

    Just because two objects are derived from the same root object it
doesn't necessarily mean that they have an IS_A relationship.
--
Scott Hill : sco### [at] cyberlifecouk
Software Engineer (and all round nice guy)

"We will decide what the news is. The news is what we tell you it is." - The
Fox TV network.