POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Re: Unicode for POVRay : Re: Unicode for POVRay Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:24:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unicode for POVRay
From: Ronald L  Parker
Date: 6 Jun 1999 13:55:43
Message: <375bb556.31956559@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 04 Jun 1999 23:30:07 -0700, "Jon A. Cruz"
<jon### [at] geocitiescom> wrote:

>Bottom line is that I think /pov files themselves might be in a few different
>encodings (very limited), but that POV-Ray would covert them to Unicode at parse
>time. Then all the dealings would be in Unicode. The only question would be UCS-2
>or UCS-4?

Isn't UCS-2 a subset of UCS-4?  If that is the case, I'd just go with
UCS-4 for everything.  It's not like POV is terribly memory-conscious
in any other part of its life. :)

>Then again, this might require a lot of changes to the parsing code, as one byte in
>the file would no longer equal one character.

I don't think the parse code cares about such things, but I might be
wrong.  It's already true that one byte in the file isn't one
character: a CRLF pair in the file looks like an LF to the parser.

BTW, I have a minor bone to pick with you.  Please don't use // to
comment things in your code.  GCC doesn't like it, and many other C
compilers don't either.