POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : superpatch/parametric trouble : superpatch/parametric trouble Server Time
2 Sep 2024 22:14:06 EDT (-0400)
  superpatch/parametric trouble
From: david sharp
Date: 7 Jun 1999 13:03:46
Message: <375BFB44.2354@interport.net>
I compiled Ron Parker's SuperPatch for MSDOS POV-Ray 3.1e
basically by dumping all the SuperPatch source files on top of
the DOS 3.1e source distribution, then shovelling the
filenames of files unique to the SuperPatch into the
djgpp makefile. The thing compiled (using djgpp) with amazingly
few problems. I have only begun testing superpatch stuff, but
everything i have tested works very nicely, except the
parametric function objects. Often in the tokenizing or
rendering of parametric function objects, the SuperPatch
POV crashes with SIGSEGV. And when it doesn't crash, there
is, at best, one black object with no pigment which is probably the
parametric surface.
After compiling with debugging on, it never gets so far as rendering
anything. It crashes during 'tokenize' and as close as I can determine
the crashes happen in mem.c on freeing some memory (again, only with
parametric functions).
I have not tracked this down any better so far because
of lack of time. I worry that there is a bug in the
parametric object code (i.e., not just in my half-assed
compilation).
Does anyone know or can guess what the problem is from this
sketchy information?