POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Photon range finding : Photon range finding Server Time
2 Sep 2024 22:14:21 EDT (-0400)
  Photon range finding
From: Bob
Date: 7 Jun 1999 03:58:05
Message: <375B7B72.EBA466EC@aol.com>
Some reverse engineering of your formulation here (never mind my
terminology please):

range_divider = 100000
intensity*128 = 0.00001
intensity = 0.000000078125
spread = 0.0002795084972
spacing_for_object = 0.015 (only approximation)
distance_from_light_to_object = 54 (only approximation in POV units)

So if a light is 54 POV units from the object having photon mapping using
a 0.015 spacing (? not sure which parameter this is in the photon
statement) then you would get the acceptable range value. Obviously these
last two things is what it all hinges upon. Increase the light to object
distance and you need to also increase the spacing.
Does this make sense? So to get good results always increase or decrease
both together? I can see where having a parameter to vary this without
need to move the light_source would be a good thing if so.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe