POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Help! : Re: Help! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 00:20:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help!
From: david sharp
Date: 3 Jun 1999 20:09:09
Message: <37570AE9.3A4A@interport.net>
Psychomek wrote:

> Is there ANY tutorials about how to map out mathematical equations in
> povray?
> Like G=R/((sin R^2+y)/(cos(phi)*(sqrt(phi*z))))
[ ... ]

Well, I don't know of a tutorial, and this reply is sure not meant to
be one, but you could make, as a most straightforward possibility,
a 'landscape' with z and y being coordinates on a plane and the
resulting value of G being used to give the height above the
plane. then you could put a little sphere there (at <y,G,z>)
Do this for enough y,z pairs and you have a 'G landscape'. or
make the 'G landscape' over a R, phi plane.
A problem you will have to solve is that your formula appears to
define a 4-d landscape so you will have to do something with
two of R,phi,z,y like hold them at a constant value (eg R=1, phi=1)
while letting the other two vary.

What I am describing would look something like this in your
scene file:

#declare z=1; // will be held constant
#declare y=1; // "    "   "    "
#declare R=0;

union{
  #while (R < 2)
	#declare phi=0;
	#while(phi<=2*pi)
		#declare G=R/((sin (R^2+y))/(cos(phi)*(sqrt(phi*z))));
		sphere {<R*cos(phi),G,R*sin(phi)>, .1}
		#declare phi=phi+.02;
	#end
	#declare R=R+.02;
  #end

  pigment{Yellow}
}

Be aware that I just pulled the numbers out of my, uhm, ear
and they have no significance or pretense at being appropriate.