POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : One Perfect White Rose... : Re: One Perfect White Rose... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 00:21:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One Perfect White Rose...
From: Jerry Anning
Date: 30 May 1999 17:27:33
Message: <37519d05.14478657@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 30 May 1999 19:22:09 +0100, Diane Duane <owl### [at] iolie>
wrote:

>Friends,
>
>The above is what I need.  My main problem at the moment is the attempt
>to create rose petals.  (The stem is probably going to be a long skinny
>cylinder, and is the least of my worries right now.)
>
>I know I'm going to wind up layering the things.  But does anyone have
>any thoughts on how rose petals might best be handled in terms of the
>basic shape?  Can one or another of the primitives be successfully
>mangled into a petal shape...say, discs "bent out of shape" and rotated?
>Or very flat round-cornered triangles?

Go to http://www.irtc.org.  Navigate to the previous rounds section.
Go to October, 1997 - "Arts and Entertainment".  The winner, "The
Drama of Cinema" by Glenn McCarter has an excellent rose.  Download
cinema.zip, which contains the pov code to create it and cinema.txt,
which contains his comments on the image and his email address.  It is
good for study, and I believe that he would give you permission to use
it directly.  For general pov-compatible modelling of that sort of
shape at the right (free) price, cosider sPatch, by Mike Clifton if
you are using Win95+.  It is pretty easy to do petals with sPatch.  It
is at http://www.cableone.net/alyson/spatch.html.
Beware!  Pov is an addiction!  Could cut into your writing time!

Jerry Anning
clem "at" dhol "dot" com