POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : real scripting in povray? : Re: real scripting in povray? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:27:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: real scripting in povray?
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 30 May 1999 10:09:51
Message: <3751389f.0@news.povray.org>
Case: the POV-Team adopts a new language. A very different one, a
programming language. I personally would probably attempt to learn it.
Provided I have the time, I would probably succeed, to a degree. Provided I
succeed, I would probably find POV more utile.

But.
What if I fail to meet any of those conditions? If I don't find the time, if
the new structure doesn't agree with my logic? I would, in effect, be forced
to abandon POV, since there is no going back; it's "learn the new language
or go".
I'm sure 90% of POV users, even the advanced users, would be in the same
situation. We would risk losing a lot of experienced people, and many
potential users. No, I don't think such burning-the-bridges approach is a
good one.

However, I would greatly approve of a similar, but less radical approach.
One that leaves alternatives.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but all the conditionals, arrays, macros etc. serve
one ultimate purpose: to generate and manipulate POV objects, textures etc.
Nothing that couldn't be duplicated with a (big) scene file with none of
those programming elements - just the objects et al.
One could create an alternative parser, that outputs such a scene file. This
way you would still have the option of the established language, but could
try out the functionality of the new one.
The question is, if anyone would be willing to create and maintain this
parser. To this question, I have no answer.

Margus