POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : DJGPP - GNU - Panorama : Re: DJGPP - GNU - Panorama Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:30:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DJGPP - GNU - Panorama
From: Edward C
Date: 27 May 1999 23:22:39
Message: <374dfdef.0@news.povray.org>
Ron Parker wrote in message <374d4681.0@news.povray.org>...

>It's worth noting, though, that if POV were GPL, you could reuse code from
>POV in Panorama and vice-versa, so the amount of duplicated work probably
>still wouldn't be too high.

Exactly.
Even if the POV-Team doesn't want to fully embrace the GPL, they could still
allow the code to be used in other projects without fear of exploitation,
though the inclusion of a clause such as "These conditions" (or some less
POV-specific subset thereof) "must extend to any software which makes use of
any code derived from this package".
Although I maintain that the GPL is the best option.  The blacklist in
POV-Legal is a pretty unpleasant relic, talk about holding grudges!