POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : DJGPP - GNU - Panorama : Re: DJGPP - GNU - Panorama Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:19:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DJGPP - GNU - Panorama
From: Ron Parker
Date: 26 May 1999 11:48:53
Message: <374c09d5.0@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 26 May 1999 13:42:50 +0200 (CDT), Jan Danielsson wrote:
>>Hi, I'm actually Edward Coffey, not David (I'm just using his computer)
>>Is it blasphemy to suggest that POV-Ray move toward a release under the GNU
>>project, possibly merging with GNU's Panorama ray-tracer, and compiling
>>under DJGPP.  Surely such a move could only benefit the POV-Ray
>>development/user community.
>
>Why? POV-Ray is great as it is.

>Portability speaking: What the POV-Team have done is incredible, and is by
>far more impressing than any GNU-project I've seen. So I say: Let the
>GNU-ists learn from the POV-Team instead. :-)

I think the suggestion was to adopt the GNU GPL, which IMHO is far superior
to POVLEGAL, and perhaps even to work with FSF.  While I'm for using the
GPL, I'm not for working with FSF for one simple reason: If programmers
think it's hard to get their patches accepted into the POV source, they
should try to get one accepted into any random FSF project.  FSF engages
in far more legal CYA than the POV-Team does.