POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : SMP povray design? : Re: SMP povray design? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:25:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SMP povray design?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 25 May 1999 13:53:38
Message: <374ad592.0@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 25 May 1999 18:03:03 +0200, Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>In article <374aa7a5.0@news.povray.org> , par### [at] fwicom (Ron Parker)
>wrote:
>
>> Okay, now let's stop ignoring how hard a multithreaded design is.  Can
>> I ask all of you "we need SMP so we need threads" people what's wrong
>> with plain ol' fork?  Yeah, Winblows doesn't support fork natively,
>> but that seems like something Mickeysoft should fix.  Or just install
>> a real OS on your fancy SMP machine.
>
>NT is POSIX compliant, and maybe Windows 2001 will be as well :-)

I'm running Win2K (AKA NT5) on this machine right now, as it happens,
writing device drivers and other hacks.  So I'm somewhat familiar with
it...

Yes, NT has a POSIX compliant subsystem.  Presumably, one could build
a version of POV that runs in the POSIX subsystem.  It wouldn't have
the Windows GUI, though, because the POSIX and Win32 subsystems are
completely independent from each other.  And of course it wouldn't
run on Win9x, which still seems pretty popular for some reason.

If one wanted an SMP POV on any Windows machine, though, one could
build the theoretical Unix SMP version (one using fork, of course)
with the Cygwin toolkit.  It does have a usable implementation of
fork.  With a little extra work you could even tie such an
implementation to the existing GUI (though you couldn't distribute
the resulting product.)