POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : SMP povray design? : Re: SMP povray design? (...Starts with an 'L' ) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:29:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SMP povray design? (...Starts with an 'L' )
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 26 May 1999 12:51:40
Message: <374C1869.3A93ADD1@geocities.com>
"Ronald L. Parker" wrote:

> On Tue, 25 May 1999 23:29:39 -0700, "Jon A. Cruz"
> <jon### [at] geocitiescom> wrote:
>
> >Of course, since Win2K is just NT 5 renamed, you can then take from
> >that the info that it will require even more resources than NT 4, and thus you
> >will not be wanting to run that either.
>
> I am running it.  PII/333, 128M RAM.  Barely acceptable performance.
> When I had 64M RAM in that machine, it was ridiculously slow and
> swapped all the time.
>
> There's a reason the people who pay to be in the "beta program" get a
> coupon good for a discount on more memory.

Argh!
One year ago I had checked it out on a system with only 32MB (pretty decent at the
time). Just opening Word (not any docs, just Word) caused it to begin almost
constant disk-thrashing. I had hoped they had corrected that. Guess not. Good to
know what practical requirements are (remember Win95 saying '8MB'??? Yeah, right)

With Linux now officially supported, it's looking more and more like a great
choice for POVRay users. And, it does SMP (just to keep things a tiny bit on
topic).