POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : SMP povray design? : Re: SMP povray design? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:32:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SMP povray design?
From: Axel Hecht
Date: 26 May 1999 09:47:58
Message: <374BEDCF.C95866C6@numerik.uni-kiel.de>
Jim Kress wrote:

> Its been an interesting discussion about the problems with multithreading
> the current version of POV.  However, I agree with the point Tim made about
> future machines going more and more to SMP (or similar) systems.
>
> In the planning for POV v4, is there any attempt to rewrite the code so that
> multithreading could be more easily implemented?  I've caught hints in this
> newsgroup that v4 will be recast in C++ so, if that much of a rewrite is
> going to occur, wouldn't it make sense to make sure it was multithreadable
> too?

<...>

Hi,
I heard a rumored yes on efforts/thoughts of the POV Team to include SMP
into the rewrite. But don't cite me on that one.
I would bet quite a lot, that such an effort like parallizing POVRay
will be much more simple with 4.0. And that the efforts done on the 3.x
branch would be most presumably lost.

As this point comes up every second week (or was it twice a week),
someone powerfull should explain the special kind of 'maybe' to warp, so
it can be included in the vfaq.

I wonder how much of 4.0 is fixed already. The overall plan posted here
some months ago is propably a bit more precise by now.

Axel