POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : UVPov alpha 5 (photon patch) : Re: UVPov alpha 5 (photon patch) Server Time
2 Sep 2024 22:15:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: UVPov alpha 5 (photon patch)
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 24 May 1999 00:38:18
Message: <3748C951.D4B0D1AF@Kopp.com>
Photon Mapping Update
---------------------

Memory optimization:  Uses less than half of the memory that it used to (46%).

Syntax changes: "density" switched to "separation", other changes (see
documentation).

Speed optimization:  Probably not noticeable

New adaptive search:  New thresholds employed.  Read the documentation for more
information.

New features:
	added max_trace_level for photons
	added adc_bailout for photons
	ability to turn union splitting on/off on a per-object basis (use split_union
yes/no in the union)

Bugs fixed:
	no more crashes with gather greater than 300
	shouldn't crash for animation anymore
	area lights work as expected
	spot lights work as expected
	cylinder lights DO NOT work as expected - working on that

I also incorporated the lathe speed improvements from 3.1e (but not all other
3.1e stuff).

One last thing... there's a paper that I wrote (in postscript format) that
details what I did so far with photon mapping (for my directed study for
school).

-Nathan