POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Animation/Renderer plugin wishlist : Re: Animation/Renderer plugin wishlist Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:25:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animation/Renderer plugin wishlist
From: smb
Date: 23 May 1999 23:42:36
Message: <3748BA08.D5490153@stuttgart.netsurf.de>
Alex Magidow wrote:

> smb wrote:
>
> > You have a misunderstanding here. If your'e a full time student, you are eligible
> > for the educational buy. I cite:
> > "The single-user educational license at $195
>
> still steep for me...but one day, perhaps I shall purchase it. Though I am a
hobbiest.

Well - raytracing and modelling might not be the same. Rhino's aim is the fun at the
form.

Someone who spends 80% of his ambition at the scene and it's idea might need other
tools than someone who loves the shape of THE thing. To be able to handcode for
POV, macro's etc included, in a texteditor is maybe on another road to skills. But
someone

going for modelling..

> > is for
> >                                 students, faculty, and schools. It is the complete
> >                                 commercial product and license with a special
> >                                 educational price. Students and educators are
> >                                 encouraged to use Rhino commercially. A
single-user
> >                                 license includes: a CD, a 550-page 4-color user's
> >                                 guide, and a mouse pad. "
> > Check out http://www.rhino3d.com/
> > . If you find any modeler with the same wealth of features and ease of handling
> > for this price, you can have my copy.
> > Not that there would need to be a mentioning of any other prog, but I did check
> > geometique yesterday, and though I like the approach, even towards the user,
> > it's a snail. Rhino is bloody fast too. I run a celeron 500 with no special
graphics

> > card (millenium 1!, 2mb) and sometimes HANDLE polygons with +300k. If I'd try
> > that with geometique, I really could have a cup of coffee before it would turn
> > around once.
>
> Well, remember it is in early ALPHA, not even beta yet. And for an alpha, it is very
> functional.

Yup. But the engine for handling the matrice data should be basically setup, or it
wouldn't
be efficient, to let having been grown the app to that stage.
I've seen what huzzle it is, to shuffle structure of an app for a major remake.
You should download the demo of Rhino and try it. The viewport handling is a go-cart.

> And its price is very good, too.

May be. But frankly, if it be 50 or 100$, the difference is a joke. Hobby or not. If I
could get such a program and would have to forget my stomache for a month, so what?
There step by and stay enough SoftImage, Maya, Lightwave, Alias and what not
(let alone the semi-professional hobbiists of 3dmax) user's, say, eh, what, oops, etc,
and
-
have a look at the gallery.

smb