POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : superpatch and unix : Re: superpatch and unix Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:34:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: superpatch and unix
From: Christian Wietholt
Date: 21 May 1999 18:30:36
Message: <3745D451.2CA1D2EE@image.bien.mu.edu>
Ron,

I just tested povray and x-povray both with shapes.pov and
with skyvase.pov. Both versions are working normaly. But
I could not test the new functions yet, I hope they will work
too.

> On Fri, 21 May 1999 16:15:12 -0500, Christian Wietholt wrote:
>
> >In the makefile there is a little error. I think the two
> >lines beginning with C:\.... are there accidently.
>
> Yes, they are.  cpp -MMD is supposed to ignore system headers, but
> apparently it missed some (I'm using egcs 1.1).  The dependencies
> were generated automatically and massaged by a Perl script, so
> while they're accurate, it's easy for bugs like that to sneak in.

I am not using the egcs. I am using the original SGI C-Compiler, and
I had similar experiences that the SGI Compiler is very sensitiv.

> >Third:
> >
> >Here I don't know exactly what to do.
> >
> >"../f_param.c", line 78: error(1164): argument of type "OBJECT *" is
> >          incompatible with parameter of type "PARAMETRIC *"
> >I put here a cast in like :
> >
> >     if (! Intersect_Par_Box (Ray, (PARAMETRIC*)Object, &Depth1,
> >&Depth2, &Side1, &Side2))
>
> I'm sure this is okay.  I'm surprised my egcs didn't complain about it.
> OBJECT is the generic superclass to PARAMETRIC.  You got to that line
> through the POV equivalent of a virtual function pointer, so you know
> Object is in fact a PARAMETRIC.  The cast should be completely safe.

Good to know that my suggestion was correct, so I don't have to recompile
everything again.

> >PRECOMP_PAR_DATA *Precompute_Parametric_Values (Par, flags, depth)
> >PARAMETRIC *Par;
> >char flags;
> >int depth;

> >PRECOMP_PAR_DATA *Precompute_Parametric_Values (PARAMETRIC * Par, char
> >flags, int depth)
>
> This should be fine, too.  I need to go eradicate the last vestiges of
> K&R from all this code someday; does anyone know a warning that I can
> enable to point out K&R-style function headers?

Sorry, but I don't know anything about such warnings. Strange is that was
the only error of this kind although there are many more function declared

like this. But now it is working and I think we don't have to worry about
it.

Again I wish to thank you very much for your support. I hope I can render
my volumetric data soon.

Take care

    chris