POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Height Field, or bump map?? : Height Field, or bump map?? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:28:30 EDT (-0400)
  Height Field, or bump map??
From: ZuluNiner
Date: 20 May 1999 22:18:55
Message: <3744b47f.0@news.povray.org>
Hi, all.

Is there a way to wrap a height field around a non-planar surface (say the
face of a hemisphere?)

I know I can simulate this with bump-mapping, but the problem is that I ONLY
want the bumps.  If I create the sphere, bump-map it with the appropriate
texture, and then do a difference and cut out all of the sphere except for
the bumps, will the bumps still be visible??

(If it were flat, I'd use a height field and simply do a difference to
remove the height zero portion of the field.  Problem is that flat just
won't do what I want, and trying to generate the emblem I want using
primitive objects will take months, whereas it would be a matter of minutes
with the method I've described if it can be done.)

--
ZuluNiner{dbd}
ZuluNiner at fuckyou dot co dot uk