POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV-Ray v.4 proposal : Re: POV-Ray v.4 proposal Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:23:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v.4 proposal
From: Mikael Carneholm
Date: 17 May 1999 10:08:05
Message: <37401410.31FD9276@ida.utb.hb.se>
"J. Grimbert" wrote:

> First of all, a point is a 0-dimension object...
> I guess you would then ask for a line (straight)
> and then some more complicated lines (bezier in a plane, total free in
> 3d space)
> That would give some 1-dimension object.
> And the fractal gurus will come and ask some 1.65-dimensions fractals
> up to the dreaded true 2-dimension plane object... (not the pov plane)
> And then a sponge primitive

Nope. But a point is such a basic "primitive" that it's a good idea to include
it. A sponge though, is not a very basic primitive. Or is it? As useful as a
teapot maybe..

> Your point looks like a vector.
> #declare POINT_IDENTIFIER = POINT_LOCATION;

It sure does. But you can't union{} a bunch of declarations and affect the
locations of the declared vectors by putting them inside a union and then
translate/rotate the whole union.

> Well, you actually do not have to deal with math,
> you have to read the manual :-)
> (and that's something hard! the manual is quiet big to remember
> everything )

I can assure you I'm not the type of guy that doesn't read the docs. And I
don't think the purpose of the manual is to memorize the whole thing, I belive
most users (me included) just use it to check some syntax once in a while -
but only when necessary.

> Why a vector array in your case ?

Because it's more convenient.

> I sincerely does not feel the need for an object that you cannot see...
> and the vector is already present.

Argument: You reduce the amount of code necessary to do certain operations.
Let's say you have a spaceship with some lightsources on which you want to use
some lens flare effect; due to the "limitation" today, you have to have
separtate declarations for each vector and it's translation. If there was a
point primitive, you could declare MySpaceShip=union{ImportedMesh + some
points} and then translate it as a unit - which is much more natural, as
that's how we percieve an object when we see it even if it's a complex object.

NewsMessage.SignWithNameOnly("Mikael")

Mikael Carneholm
Dep. of Computer Science

http://www.studenter.hb.se/~arch