POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Programmer seeks help : Re: Programmer seeks help Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:21:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programmer seeks help
From: Ronald L  Parker
Date: 14 May 1999 12:22:20
Message: <373c3e8b.209132234@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 14 May 1999 00:58:52 GMT, hor### [at] osuedu (Steve )
wrote:

>My first questions involve how to get the current running amount of free
>memory from Win95.   I want a count of physical RAM, not all the free space on
>the HD.

This is a tough one.  I don't think Windows makes this number readily
available.  You can get the total available memory including virtual,
but that won't do you much good.  On NT, you can get physical RAM
information from the process statistics helper DLL, but I don't know
of an equivalent on 9x.

>So where in the code should I look first for these things?

I'm not sure what you're looking for, exactly.  You'll find the
trace_pixel function in render.c, but it's probably too high-level for
what you're trying to do, so you might need to follow it down a couple
of steps.  Starting this way you'll also get an idea what preparatory
steps have to be done before tracing the rays.