POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Include Files : Re: Include Files Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:15:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Include Files
From: Ken
Date: 16 May 1999 04:35:17
Message: <373E74FC.6C062A4D@pacbell.net>
Timothy Farley wrote:

> My searches on the Web have led me to many include files, most of which work
> nicely on 3.0, is there a definitive site where 3.1 include files can be
> found, such as the explosions, lense flares, and chains?

 Pov v3.1 is still relatively new and the include files have been a bit
slow in hitting the market as it were. Chris Colefax has updated his
awesome collection of utilities plus added a few. They can be found at:

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/1434/

  Nathan Kopp has updated his suite of lens flare effects which
are available at:

http://www.megsinet.com/~nkopp/nkflare.htm

  For some eye openers that use the new macro functions in Pov you owe
it to yourself to visit Gilles Tran's newly offered collection

AT:

http://www.mediaport.net/Artichaud/Tran/sources/gtsrcee.htm

OR...

  The above collection is also being hosted in the Pov objects collection
at twysted.net. It has become more than just a collection of static objects
and there are several utility like include and macro object generating
utilities in the collection now. Check it out at:

http://twysted.net/povobjects/

  Also at Twysts site is a growing collection of macro utilities in the
MacroScope section of his page.

http://twysted.net

  One great source for include files and updated/new utilities is the news
groups right here on this server. There have been regular postings in the
povray.binaries.utilities, povray.binaries.scene-files, and the
povray.text.scene-files groups on this server. An hour or two of browsing
through them will turn up some real gems. Besides the actual files being
posted there is a slow but steady stream of announcements of new utilities
and include files made in the previously mentioned groups as well as this
one and the povray.general newsgroup.

  If you think you have the net covered from end to end that is probably
not altogether true either. If you haven't seen my links page you are
in for a real treat. It can be accessed at the following link and then
click on the links link at the bottom of the page. The rest of the site
is non functional but the links page is the highlight there anyway.

  Besides the 550 plus 3d graphics links already there I will be updating
them soon with another 300 recent additions. While there is some mixed
blood, raytracing package wise, it is a site dedicated primarily to the
Pov-Ray program and most everything listed can be used towards that end
in some fashion or another.

> I also would like to see a better GUI built, just for use with POV-Ray
> extensions, I am not much of a Programmer, and definately not a Windows
> programmer, but it would be really nice to use POV-Ray from within a nice
> looking GUI, like VC++ or VB. WHat do you all think?

  Actually I am perfectly at home in the new editor that they implemented
in the Pov v3.1 windows version and would not trade it for anything at this
point in time. It is definately superior to the previous windows gui and I
have grown very fond of it.
  If you are not a windows user there have been some discussions on upgraded
emacs editors and a few other editor names that I don't really follow because
I operate in a windows environment. There is I hear a new Unix/Linux group here
on the server that might interest you if you are not using the Mac or Windows
version of the program.

> Thanks for all your input, please respond by mail also.

Yep !

> Thanks in advance.
> - Tim -

Regards,