POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : SMP : Re: SMP Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:19:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SMP
From: Mark Gordon
Date: 13 May 1999 02:36:31
Message: <373A654F.CEB0C066@mailbag.com>
I said:

> PVMPOV does some of this more transparently, but it hasn't yet been updated to
> support for POV-Ray 3.1 features.

I spoke a bit too soon. :-)

There's apparently an unofficial PVMPOV based on POV-Ray 3.1e at
http://www.luga.de/~flierl/pvmpov/

Thanks to Ken for posting that link to c.g.r.r.

By the way, when I explain why POV-Ray doesn't currently support
threading, I don't want to make it sound as though the POV-Team is
opposed to having POV-Ray move in that direction.  As I've said before
on this group (within the last week!), ray tracing is an algorithm that
can take great advantage of threading.  PVMPOV in particular has been
used to showcase Beowulf clusters.  See
http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayStory.pl?99039.ecsuperlinux.htm
to see what IBM has done with PVMPOV.

--